The Industrial Relationist

The Industrial Relationist is a workplace blog geared towards, but not exclusively for, Canadian labour relations practitioners. It aims to be informative and entertaining, and hope to get a discussion going among IR folks in Canada. The author has held management-side LR positions in the past. He currently still works in the field, but is blogging anonymously to stay on the right side of employment law! Enjoy!

Monday, September 24, 2007

Back-at-it, Retirement Style

So an unfortunate turn in my family sent me back home unexpectedly, hence the delays in posting.

While in Calgary, however, I heard this on Country 101 (not a freshman course, but a radio station):

Old guy: You know, retirement's just not what it's cracked up to be.

Young peppy guy: At Totem Building Supplies, we've got lots of opportunities to make your retirement more exciting!

OG: I like learning new things.

YPG: Totem will train you in many different aspects of home building and home repair!

OG: Well, the extra money couldn't hurt, either.

YPG: Totem pays competitive wages and benefits!

Keep in mind that all of this is pretty much paraphrased because I heard it a week ago under the influence of serious sinus medication, but the sense of it is all there.

Now I don't know many "old guys" who'd willingly admit that their retirements need excitement. I do know a few of their wives who do, though.

Of course, none of those women would, so far as I know, want their husbands ANYWHERE NEAR home repair training. Which makes this choice pretty interesting.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home