The Industrial Relationist

The Industrial Relationist is a workplace blog geared towards, but not exclusively for, Canadian labour relations practitioners. It aims to be informative and entertaining, and hope to get a discussion going among IR folks in Canada. The author has held management-side LR positions in the past. He currently still works in the field, but is blogging anonymously to stay on the right side of employment law! Enjoy!

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Deadbeat

This is one way to get attention:

Be a unionized cemetery worker. And go on strike.

It's unfortunate that management also has lots of winter storage capacity (graves apparently aren't dug up in the winter). The union might have thought that through a bit; granted picketing is SO much more pleasant in the summer, but if they'd gone out in, say, February or March, that might have been more effective.

Unclear as to what the union's exact demands are, but according to the video file the gravediggers make around $50K per year, which management feels is...excessive (though they are not, apparently, looking for rollbacks). I believe it's a pension issue.

I could say so much more, given the context, but I've already taken one pot-shot today (see title).

I haven't even had coffee, yet!

Many thanks, AGAIN, to A.S.!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home